Recently, something memorable happened. Perhaps not for everyone, but for me, it really has been an eye-opener. Interact visited an Old Folks' Home last Friday because of the Chinese New Year celebration over at that side. Perhaps, because of language difference, and the so-called 'generation gap', I didn't know what help I could offer. Lost and not knowing what to do, I decided to talk to some elderly there, and soon, the lift opened when many wheelchairs were pushed out. It was sad to say, most elderly there are wheelchair bound, I wish I could take the pain and the helplessness to myself, I wish all the negative feelings they have in them could disappear just like that. At the instant, I told myself, I wanna be of some help to them.
However, the same problem arose. It was the language difference, I tried to decipher what they were trying to say. Their frustrations, their anger, their sense of helplessness, I feel it. But, I didn't know what I could do to help them. I listened and continued to decipher... There, a lady who can speak Chinese. I was pleased and surprised, I walked over and talked to her. Then I went into the lift to help out the nurses there. Then, an old lady came in and held my hands, it was that warmth... She held my hands and said 'Thankyou' to me, in Chinese. And she put on a smile. I held her down to the dining area and started chatting with her. She told me all about her life and I really wished her youth won't be gone. However, she's still cheerful and healthy, she's able to walk and talk and smile. Her smile really brightens me, really. I tried to help her in ways which I could. And she's always so grateful to me, she's always saying 'Thankyou'...
It's that kind of satisfaction I want from helping people, helping the community. There's very little an individual can do for the whole community, but even though it's not significant to the bare eyes of many, it's means alot to yourself, that sense of satisfaction...
Then, Clement and I went into the lift to help the others back to their dormitories, when it's getting late. Only then do I realise that there are still so many old folks who are not able to interact with us. I do sympathize them... I just hope, health's always with everyone and always be cheerful. Like I always tell the grandma I saw at the Home, with health, no matter what's your age, it doesn't make a difference. Be cheerful, be healthy, live life happily.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Because I see every single second flew by...
Posted by CMT(: at 4:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment